Disabled People Can Avail Of Food Stamps

Food Stamp is another name for United State's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). In this program, food assistance is provided to individuals with low or no income. Anybody and everybody who is a US citizen, US National or legal immigrant can apply for food stamps. However, as a steadfast rule, all applicants must have a Social Security Number.

Food Stamps for the Disabled People
For SNAP purposes, a disabled individual is defined in the following manner:

* An individual who is receiving disability assistance from the US Social Security department. This assistance could either be in the form of Supplemental Security Income or in the form of Social Security disability benefits.
* Apart from receiving disability assistance under State as well Federal disability assistance programs, SNAP definition of the disabled also includes war veterans disabled by a war-time injury.
* SNAP definition of disabled also includes those who receive and annuity under the Railroad Retirement Act and who are considered disabled according to Supplemental Security Income rules.
* Spouses and dependants of veterans who are getting VA benefits and are considered to be permanently disabled.

Disabled individuals falling in any of the four above-mentioned categories can apply for food stamps.

How To Apply For Food Stamps
You need to fill a Food Stamp application form to get food stamps. These are available at any Social Security Administration office. Once the application is duly filled in you need to deposit it at the local Social Security office where a food stamp representative works or directly at the food stamp office.

Those who are applying (or receiving) SSI payments need not go anywhere as their application for food stamp would be forwarded by the Social Security Administration.

Eligibility condition to obtain food stamps
Food stamp is only given to those disabled individuals whose total household resources (which usually include cash, bank deposits and property) do not exceed the limit of $2000. However, this limit is pushed to $3000 if there is an elder member (above 60 years) in the family or if there is a disabled person requiring medical aid.

There are a few things which are usually not considered as a part of 'resources owned'. This would include your house and the land on which it is built. A vehicle (such as truck) could also be exempted provided it is used in a specified way.

Apart from limit on resources in possession, there is also an income limit placed. Since, this limit changes on a yearly basis and also varies according to the size of the household, it is best that you contact the local Social Security office to get more details about it.