Ensuring Education For Disabled Children

There are a large number of students with inherent learning disabilities ranging from minor learning handicaps to severe disabilities that require specialized attention and care.

The term disability in the current context is an all-encompassing term that includes types of disabilities such as visual disabilities, learning disabilities, psychological disabilities, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)  and physical impairments that restrict mobility.

The parents of children with learning disabilities should be aware that such children have civic rights that enable them to have a free public school education and appropriate support that enables them to learn in spite of their condition.

Students with disabilities require special treatment and facilities. Students with disabilities may require extra time to take an exam, specialized teaching, counseling and support. Even the process of assessment of the performance of disabled children should be different from that of other children

The rights of education for disabled children are enshrined in the constitution and are ensured by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).  The state ensures that specialized services are provided to children with disabilities, and the disabled children be provided an individualized education program (IEP). The IEP is drawn out with the help of the child’s parents, schoolteacher, special education teacher and a representative of the US department of education.

There are a number of initiatives taken by the US department of education to provide opportunities to high school students who are disabled and who wish to continue their education in vocational or career colleges.

The department has setup a number of grant programs that provide grants to students with learning disabilities.

In case you are a parent of a disabled child, you should be well aware of the rights that you and your child enjoy.

One very valuable resource from which you can learn about these rights and have your queries answered is the US department of education website.